Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 1, 2012

Geaux Teacher!: THE REALITY OF REFORM AS I KNOW IT

Geaux Teacher!: THE REALITY OF REFORM AS I KNOW IT:


THE REALITY OF REFORM AS I KNOW IT

After reading Diane Ravitch's recent blog Are Charter Schools Public Schools, and slogging through all the comments her writing always generates, I responded myself. I realized that I am filled to capacity with the think-tank "research," the back and forth theoretical debate, and the pre-packaged rhetoric of reform. I know what I know - the New Orleans experience. That perspective is not based on theory but on the reality of the destruction that the reform model has brought to New Orleans, and now thanks to our Governor and his bought-and-paid-for legislature, our entire state. 

Here is the link to Diane's article and all the commentary that follows. And here is my response.http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/Bridging-Differences/2012/05/are_charter_schools_public_sch.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GLCWorthARead+%28Worth+A+Read%29


lbarrios
10:09 AM on June 1, 2012

I have become a full-time advocate for "traditional" public education since retiring as a teacher in Louisiana. I