Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Firing Day at a Charter School | Seattle Education

Firing Day at a Charter School | Seattle Education:


Firing Day at a Charter School

I am re-posting this in full from CoLab Radio. A must read.
An image of Dany Edwards. Art by Sean Flaherty, who was also fired from this charter school on June 1, 2011.
I just quit my job as a teacher in an urban charter school. Even though I still don’t have another job and I support myself entirely, it is the best decision I ever made. It is especially liberating this week while my colleagues – and after five incredibly stressful years on the education front lines, my truly beloved friends – wait for the June 1 ax to fall.
Every June 1, the exhausted teachers and staff at my school learn whether they will be rehired for another grueling year. Last year the school gave 43 staff and teachers the you’re-outta-luck-pal letters, including the