Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Daily Kos: Bittersweet

Daily Kos: Bittersweet:


Bittersweet

the school day is over.  My grades are all in.  My students are now gone, at least from my teaching -  when I next return on Monday to sign out, their year will be officially completed, although probably few will be here the next few days.
I probably could have left for Netroot Nation by midday.  But then I would have missed one more opportunity to be with my students.  This afternoon, after dismissal, some were offering hugs, many were offering thanks.  A few former students stopped by yesterday and today to wish me well in my retirement.
In a few minutes I will get in my car and head for the airport, on my way to Netroots Nation.  I look forward to that gathering.
But right now is bittersweet.  I may never again be a classroom teacher.  I will miss being with the students.
I will not again be a teacher in this building, which has been my home for 13 of the past 14 years.  I have been saying goodbye to adult friends, including the cafeteria ladies and the security people.
It is right for me to take this retirement.  I am ready for the next phase of my life, whatever that may be.
But I have some tears as well.  The title is accurate -  it is truly bittersweet.
Peace.