Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Standardized Composition Test « Cooperative Catalyst

A Standardized Composition Test « Cooperative Catalyst:


A Standardized Composition Test

We know bubble sheets are unrelated to “real life”.
I think we made the “education thing” up by constructing much nonsense about the written word being the supreme method of sharing ideas and information.
I think we have forgotten that sharing experiences and doing things together are matters that (1) allow us to learn and (2) make us human.
I began asking a question of Paramedic and EMT students (HS grads/GED) to kick-start discussions about medical-legal issues. I ask them to write down the first word that comes to mind when asked “What Are You?” I ask that question three more times, and request they again write their answer down.
The answers generally deal with biological sex, sex/gender/family roles and issues, race/ethnicity, nationality