Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Daily Kos: a thought about the Florida voter purge

Daily Kos: a thought about the Florida voter purge:


a thought about the Florida voter purge

let's presume I am a US Citizen who has been voting regularly and legally.
Let's further presume I receive one of the notices informing me that the state has been informed I might not be a citizen and I have to prove my right to vote by filing paperwork.
Should not the state be required to provide me with the name of the person making that charge so I can sue that person for defamation?
After all, asserting that I am not a citizen is tantamount of accusing me of having committed a felony by voting falsely.
And is not the state REMOVING me from the voting roles when I have already been voting not tantamount to denying me the equal protection of the law, unless it similarly demands that every registered voter in Florida similarly provide the state with documentation that their previous voting has not been fraudulent.
This is a separate issue than being required to show government issued picture id, itself problematic for someone with a documented history of voting.
I acknowledge I am not a lawyer.
I would suspect there might be some lawyers who could make a could deal of money by successfully filing and carrying forth some law suits on these issues.
Just a thought - or so - on the topic.
And if I might add one more, one perhaps worth pushing as a meme -
the only people the Republicans suspect of illegally or fraudulently voting are those who might vote Democratic.
The real frauds, like Ann Coulter (and one could argue Richard Lugar) never seem to get prosecuted.