Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 12, 2012

What Am I to Say to Aspiring Teachers? | IDEA

What Am I to Say to Aspiring Teachers? | IDEA:


What Am I to Say to Aspiring Teachers?

by Kristan Morrison in democracy.edu

At my university, I serve as the Graduate Program Coordinator for the Masters in Education program. Part of this job entails serving as an advisor/recruiter to people who already have a Bachelor's degree in some other field, but who wish to now earn a Masters in Education simultaneous with earning a state license to teach. Last week, a prospective student sat in my office, eager for a change from her stressful current job as a case worker in a community service organization. She plied me with questions about what it is like to be a teacher, is this a good time to be going into education, is the work stable, etc.

What was I to say to her when so many negatives were swirling through my mind? The courses I teach focus on the politics and economics of education and we have recently been discussing how the governor (and some other state politicians) in the state of VA have been trying to gut retirement benefits and job protections, and are