Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 6, 2012

This Month: Appreciating Schools that Teach Financial Literacy | LFA: Join The Conversation - Public School Insights

This Month: Appreciating Schools that Teach Financial Literacy | LFA: Join The Conversation - Public School Insights:


This Month: Appreciating Schools that Teach Financial Literacy

When and how did you learn about credit cards and credit scores? Did your parents teach you; did they lead by example; did you take a course; or did you learn by trial and error? What does just paying the minimum payment each month really mean in the long-term? April is National Financial Literacy Month and an opportunity to examine school’s role in educating young Americans when it comes to financial decision-making.
I did not have much exposure to financial education during my high school experience, but I was fortunate enough to learn a great deal from my mother and to have her support my navigation of the college financial aid process. Since graduation, I’ve also participated in a number of seminars, all of which  have proven tremendously helpful when it comes to my own financial decisions about higher education, home ownership, savings and investments and planning for retirement. It makes me wonder what decisions and mistakes I would have made without that enhanced understanding.
read more