Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, April 30, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: International Education in SPS

Seattle Schools Community Forum: International Education in SPS:


International Education in SPS

I had been meaning to write this thread for some time now.  It's a worthy example of how Seattle Schools starts off with a good idea but cannot follow-thru with execution.

I will be upfront and say I probably should have done more research so fill in the gaps if you know more.  But the issues are in very sharp focus right now and it is a program that is going to reach a stress level soon.


Background

(I confess I don't know much about foreign languages in SPS before the JSIS was created.  I assume that most of the high schools and middle schools had at least one foreign language for decades.  I am also aware that several elementaries had foreign language instruction either during the school day or after school with the costs being borne by PTAs or other groups.) 

John Stanford advanced the idea of a foreign language immersion school before his death in 1998.  He thought