Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Opting out of the testing madness, why and how | Seattle Education

Opting out of the testing madness, why and how | Seattle Education:


Opting out of the testing madness, why and how

For the “why” of opting out of the testing madness that has taken hold of our school districts, a great article to start with is Testing Our Limits by Melissa Bollow Tempel in the latest issue of Rethinking Schools. To follow is an excerpt:
I walked away from the rest of my class and over to the three computers in the corner of my classroom.
Two of my 1st graders, Jasmine and Jayden, sat at their computers with their headphones off, waiting for me to reset their computers to Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) test number 2.
“I got 162,” said Jasmine. “You got