Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 7, 2012

NYC Chancellor won’t grade himself | Outside the Cave

NYC Chancellor won’t grade himself | Outside the Cave:


NYC Chancellor won’t grade himself

If this is how the Chancellor evaluates himself, why is he grading schools and teachers on a curve that ends with letter grades, or their equivalent? From an interview with Anna Phillips:
Q. If you were to rate yourself, give yourself a grade for your first year as chancellor, whether it’s an A through F or a 1 to 10, what would you give yourself and why?
A. And my response, and this is my honest response, is I don’t give myself a grade. I don’t really focus on that. To me it’s the satisfaction of what I see when I go to schools and when I interact with students. You know me, you guys have been trailing me for a while. I just love being in the 


Service learning done right

Good to see great thing happening at my old school, Bronx Lab:
I’m lucky enough to work at the Bronx Lab School, a community that has made a commitment to service learning as a part of our philosophy and curriculum. Each year, for the last three school days before spring break, all students participate in a service learning project that is designed by one or two teachers in a program called Explore Week. After working with the music teacher on a project last year, I was looking to develop my own project for this year. Because of my experiences working with Operation Wounded Warrior through my volunteer fire department