Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Few Secrets About My Appearance at TEDxNYED | The Jose Vilson

A Few Secrets About My Appearance at TEDxNYED | The Jose Vilson:


A Few Secrets About My Appearance at TEDxNYED

You didn’t think I’d let the weekend go by without talking about TEDxNYED right?
I was honored to be invited to speak (second!) at the TEDx conference at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens yesterday. You often hear notes from the audience’s perspective, but the speakers who don’t post as often as they should. Part of it might be that speakers may feel weird about saying, “Mine was the best talk, but here are other ones I liked.” It could also be that they’re so into their talk that they didn’t hear the other ones until later on. Whatever the reason, I decided to shed some of those notions.
Let me share some secrets.
1. Every speaker who was good on stage was nervous as hell backstage.
Sorry for putting that out there, but it’s true. I won’t say which of the talks resonated with me, but all the speakers who resonated with me paced back and forth in the green room. I know I was a complete mess; I occupied the backstage mirror trying to convince myself that I had it in me to do this talk. I can only imagine