Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Dreamer, The Believer [The Race Man Cometh] | The Jose Vilson

The Dreamer, The Believer [The Race Man Cometh] | The Jose Vilson:


The Dreamer, The Believer [The Race Man Cometh]

This is what I get for reading comments on CNN blogs. Or anywhere else but my blog anyways.
The trolls spew racism all over a post that’s simply meant to help progress the conversation about race, not get us stuck in the same epitaphs of indifference and conservatism. For once, I’d like to see people who normally settle upon their asses when it comes to their racism look a kid in the eye and say, “We know you see differences between you and him, but really, we got a lot more in common than you can see.” Instead, I’m asked to answer questions about things like presentation, speech, and general colorism.
Thus, here are some of my personal beliefs, because I don’t think responding to all those comments on Twitter / Facebook / CNN will do me any good.
1. I don’t believe in reverse racism, just like I don’t believe in reverse sexism and classism. As I’ve said far too many times, racism is a function of dominance and power. Thus, racism assumes that the person in the dominant position would be racist / sexist / classist. This doesn’t bode well for those of you in the dominant