Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wendy Kopp: In Defense of Optimism in Education

Wendy Kopp: In Defense of Optimism in Education:


In Defense of Optimism in Education
Posted: 03/13/2012 10:50 am




Last year I published A Chance To Make History to share my reflections on what I've learned from our teachers, alumni, and colleagues in urban and rural communities since launching Teach For America twenty years ago. My determination to end educational inequality and optimism that it can be done has only grown stronger over the years as we've seen more examples of what is possible. But my experiences have also deepened my appreciation of the magnitude of the problem and led to a nuanced vision for change. It was disappointing to see the views expressed in the book flagrantly misrepresented in a recent article in the New York