Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Charter Update - I Heart the Governor

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Charter Update - I Heart the Governor:


Charter Update - I Heart the Governor

Here's the latest from The Olympian story today. 

From the Governor (who is vastly irritated with all sides the longer this takes)

Never mind its contents: Gov. Chris Gregoire teed off on a Senate Republican budget plan backed by a coalition including three Democrats today, mainly because of the secret process that produced it. The Democrat told reporters it came as a surprise to parties that she has tried to bring together this week for inclusive, “five-corner” budget talks. And she said, the plan includes a charter-schools proposal she will automatically veto.

The governor does have some leverage. She says she won’t sign bills that lawmakers want if they don’t get on the stick and produce a budget that can be supported by 50 House members, 25 Senate members and one signature – hers. 

She got me a little worried when I read this:

Asked if she would actually veto bills, Gregoire said: “I gave them a message today. My message is this: I’m not