Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 11, 2012

School Tech Connect: On Vouchers and Charters in Illinois

School Tech Connect: On Vouchers and Charters in Illinois


On Vouchers and Charters in Illinois

It's so difficult to pin down state legislators on the issues I care about before an election. I hear a lot about things that on are my stove but not on the front burners.

Fortunately, there's IVI-IPO.

As I mentioned today on the Twitters, I saw a mailing today here in the 14th Legislative District of the great state of Illinois. It pointed out that one of the candidates in the Democratic primary, Paula Basta, has a pro-voucher position, although a confused one at that.

So I looked it up. Here is what Basta told IVI-IPO:


The box on the left equals "yes." The box on the right equals "no."

First of all, I don't think she gets how vouchers work. You really can't have it both ways on this particular issue. As for charter schools, she's just totally wrong. She's a great person, but we really don't need another