Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 22, 2012

One more letter to the Seattle School Board regarding Teach for America, Inc. | Seattle Education

One more letter to the Seattle School Board regarding Teach for America, Inc. | Seattle Education:


One more letter to the Seattle School Board regarding Teach for America, Inc.

I told you in my last post that those would not be my last words on TFA, Inc.
Yesterday evening I found this letter in my inbox and found it so compelling that I wanted to share it.
Dora
To the SPS Board Directors,
Let’s first be clear about what the contract does. This contract
effectively says that teacher candidates from TFA get a waiver from
Seattle’s certification requirement. This is clearly preferential
treatment and a lowering of expectations for teacher candidate
training.
Why does this matter? Better training matters for number of reasons:
- Better training makes it more likely that a teacher will be
effective when entering the classroom
- Better training makes it more likely that a teacher will stay in the classroom