Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 16, 2012

New York’s Common Core Pre-K Standards: They’re Not Kidding Around | Dailycensored.com

New York’s Common Core Pre-K Standards: They’re Not Kidding Around | Dailycensored.com:


New York’s Common Core Pre-K Standards: They’re Not Kidding Around

An angry New York City parent of a preschooler got my attention on Twitter. “Are you f**king kidding me?” she wrote. “I may just quit my job and home-school my daughter.”
I wondered what on earth could be so terrible. I soon found out: the New York City Department of Education’s “Common Core–aligned tasks embedded in a unit of study.”
“Common Core” refers, of course, to the Common Core State Standards, financed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and coordinated by the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers. They define “the knowledge and skills students should have within their K-12 education careers so that they will graduate high school able to succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing academic college courses and in workforce training programs.”
For the NYC Department of Education, aligning the kindergartner’s day with college and work expectations was not enough. They’ve prepared a