Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Nardone: Standardized education is killing U.S. creativity - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News

Nardone: Standardized education is killing U.S. creativity - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News:


Nardone: Standardized education is killing U.S. creativity

By Julie Nardone/Local columnist
Posted Jul 03, 2011 @ 12:11 AM
Last update Jul 12, 2011 @ 11:27 AM
Print Comment  
Buckminster Fuller said, "Look into the eyes of a newborn baby and you will see the spark and the soul of a genius."
So, why do we take that baby and spend 12-plus years schooling its genius out?
Because we've been taught to believe that time spent tethered to chairs cramming arbitrary information into our brains and spitting it onto tests constitutes learning. I don't fault anyone who supports this version of education. I did, too. I thought I could only learn from a certified teacher. I thought every year I went to school made me smarter. I thought the boredom I endured assured me a ticket to the good life.
Untrue.
I entered school curious, confident and courageous. I left a diploma and two degrees later with an injured spirit, a fear of authority and an inability to see my own strengths. During my non-work hours, I shopped at malls to fill the empty spaces in my life or watched TV until my brain went numb. It took a solid decade to unlearn the de-humanizing behavior I'd been


Read more: http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/opinion/x1498053445/Nardone-Standardized-education-is-killing-U-S-creativity#ixzz1pqaYFDzB