Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 26, 2012

Death and the Educational World « Cooperative Catalyst

Death and the Educational World « Cooperative Catalyst:


Death and the Educational World

Death and the Educational World:

   This afternoon I attended a funeral.  This is not an event that I look forward too, nor do I believe many people do.  Usually funerals are important for two critical reasons, the first being the emotional closure to losing a loved one, and the second, as a time reflect on ones own mortality.  Today, however, as I walked back down the path, through the trees of my undergraduate college campus, I could only think about the quietness in which educators passing has, both throughout history and our current time.
    You see, this funeral, was not that of a family member or close friend, but of a late professor of mine.  A man who helped shape my understanding of progressive education, the use of narrative voice in teaching history, an individual who not only transformed me but thousands of others, both through his teaching and also, throughout