Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Updated: My Blood, My Sweat, My Test Scores | Outside the Cave

Updated: My Blood, My Sweat, My Test Scores | Outside the Cave:

Updated: My Blood, My Sweat, My Test Scores

After two years of court battles, it seems that the release of NYC Teacher Data Reports will happen any moment now. For the life of me, I cannot understand the journalistic justification of publishing individual teachers’ results. I would like to applaud Gotham School schools for choosing not to do so, and express my disappointment that the New York Times seems prepared to. I would further ask the Times why they are choosing to publish teacher’s scores when they have not published principal’s ratings in the past. I do not expect integrity from the Daily News or the Post. (In the interest of full disclosure, I serve on an advisory board for Gotham Schools, though was not consulted on this decision. I also write for the Time’s Schoolbook site.)

I wrote the following piece over a year ago when the DOE first announced they would share the results, and stand by it today. I would be willing to update results, but I do not have access to my students scores from 2011 (I