Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Essay by a former Teach for America recruit: Why I did TFA, and why you shouldn’t | Seattle Education

Essay by a former Teach for America recruit: Why I did TFA, and why you shouldn’t | Seattle Education:

Essay by a former Teach for America recruit: Why I did TFA, and why you shouldn’t

From Gary Rubinstein’s blog:

There was a time, not very long ago, when I was an active volunteer alumni recruiter for TFA. And, as you might expect, I was great at it. One year, I think it was 1998, I did a recruitment session at Colorado College, a very small school, which brought the house down. A year later when TFA published the list of the most popular schools for TFA, Colorado College was listed alongside The University Of Michigan and all the other common TFA schools as one of the top twenty schools for that year.

The last time I recruited for TFA, I went to my alma mater, Tufts, in 2002. I even wrote this editorial which ran in The Tufts Daily.

There are many similarities between now and 1991, when I graduated from college. Bush was in