Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Daniel Pink Answers Two Questions About Group Incentives | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…

Daniel Pink Answers Two Questions About Group Incentives | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…:

Daniel Pink Answers Two Questions About Group Incentives

As regular readers know, I’m not a fan of teacher merit pay (see The Best Resources For Learning Why Teacher Merit Pay Is A Bad Idea).

Some school reformers and researchers have suggested that providing merit pay for entire schools is an alternative, though I’m not a supporter of those kinds of group incentives for similar reasons why I’m opposed to individual merit pay.

I asked Daniel Pink, author of Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, about his take on group incentives, and he was kind enough to respond (I’ve written a lot about his work).

What’s your take on the whole idea of group versus individual incentives?

To me, the difference is less about groups versus individuals than about other, deeper factors. For instance, the


Touching “Arigato” (Thank You) Video From Japan

Yumi sent me this touching “arigato” (thank you) video made in Japan to thank people and countries who have helped them recover from the earthquake and tsunami. I’m adding it to Useful Updates On Japan Earthquake — Part Two.

Popout


Photo Galleries Of The Week

Obviously, photos can be great educational tools with English Language Learners and with any students (seeThe Best Ways To Use Photos In Lessons). I post about many photo galleries, also called slideshows. To do it in a little more organized way, though, I recently began this weekly feature called “Photo Galleries Of The Week.” This post is a “round-up” of online slideshows I’m adding to various “The Best…” lists:

San Francisco’s Coit Tower murals is a photo gallery from The Los Angeles Times. I’m adding it to The Best Sites To Learn About San Francisco (it’s not a slideshow, but I’m also adding Twenty-five free attractions in San Francisco from the BBC to the same list).

Winter Arrives is a slideshow from The Atlantic. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Learning About The Winter Season.

National Geographic Photography Contest Winners: 2011 is from The Boston Globe.