Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Daily Kos: A difficult week at school

Daily Kos: A difficult week at school:

A difficult week at school

This was a stressful week both personally and then for our school community. I have been fighting a bad head cold which morphed into a post-nasal drip that would not stop. It began last Saturday and is not yet done. The final impact was that yesterday I basically could not speak without damaging my voice. That makes it hard to function as a teacher. Fortunately my four AP classes can function largely with student leadership at this point, and if I needed to talk I could snap my fingers and get the entire class very quiet so that they could hear me with minimal volume. For my two non-AP classes, I gave them the day to do other work. Some goofed off, particularly in the last period of the day, but i can live with that for a day.

What was enjoyable despite the stress was the willingness of the students to adjust to my physical problems.

On a personal level, I also found out that one of the possibilities I have explored for next year is now closed, as I


I am watching what should be Lawrence O'Donnell

tonight it is given over to a condensed, 1-hour version of Semper Fi: Always Faithful. It is about the poisoning of Marines and their families through the water supply at Camp Lejeune in NC.

I am a former Marine. I spent several weeks in infantry training regiment at Camp Geiger, a sub-camp of LeJeune. From what I know I was not exposed. But that does not matter.

Men and women and their families were exposed.

The Marine Corps did not do due diligence after they were first informed of the problem. They continued to fail in doing due diligence.

I am ashamed of the Marine Corps.

I am ashamed of our country.

You should see this movie. You can still turn on MS-NBC and watch what is on.

Please do so.

Thanks.