Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Daily Kos: adolescents - those I teach, those I know

Daily Kos: adolescents - those I teach, those I know:

adolescents - those I teach, those I know

are very much on my mind this Saturday morning. I was supposed to be in Chicago for an educational conference this weekend, but because of an adolescent's personal crisis I could not go. I am not for reasons of privacy going to go into the details. I was in my classroom with little to do the past two days - I had left lesson plans that did not require my presence. That gave me time to observe and listen in a way I am not normally able to do. Earlier in the week we had begun the process of registration for next year, which connected me with the fears, anxieties, and aspirations of a number of students. I also thought of adolescents in our extended families, some I know through our religious communities, a few I have encountered around our neighborhood.

In the process I thought back to my own adolescence, which was perhaps the most unhappy time I have ever experienced.

I had a student "lose it" completely in class on Tuesday, a few minutes after the announcements had completed. As it happens, this student's parents had had a nasty divorce, and while in counseling, the student had not really shared with classmates, nor had any of the teachers been informed. When later in the day I caught up with student and with custodial parent (please note I am trying to keep as much confidentiality as I can while discussion the incident) the parent apologized for not having informed me when I called at the beginning of the school year as I do for all my students, in part because I want to know of any issues that might affect the child in my class.

That is what started the process of this reflection, which continues below the squiggle.