Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, January 20, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: My No to Charters

Seattle Schools Community Forum: My No to Charters:

My No to Charters

I'm going to express my thoughts about charters in general and then, in a separate thread, give an analysis of the current charter legislation.

I waited until I had finished my series on charters. I gave time for readers to read the series and hopefully, thoughtfully consider the evidence and experience that other states have had. You may have noticed that I put the series (with links) at the top right of the blog along with a link to the State Legislature page that shows how to contact your legislator to give your opinion.

I will say this again - this blog is the only place that truly tried to give factual and complete information in order to allow readers to educate themselves on this issue. We have never had charters in this state and so there are likely many, many people who don't even have a vague idea about what they are.

This did not happen at LEV, Stand for Children or through the state PTSA organization. They could have done this but chose not to do so. Ask yourself why. Why would there be pro and con discussions about charters

City Club is Looking for Heroes

I was pleased to find out that City Club took over the Jefferson Awards went the PI went dark. The Jefferson Awards "recognize, inspire and activate volunteerism and public service in communities, workplaces and schools across America." The awards are presented on a national and local level. The program started in 1972 "to create a Nobel Prize for public service."

"From the beginning the Jefferson awards has been based on a simple idea. One of the most powerful ideas in the world. One person can make a difference. That is the heart of democracy at work."

I was nominated for the work we did as part of the entire Closure and Consolidation Committee. It was