Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Problem with Lesson Plans - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

The Problem with Lesson Plans - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher:

The Problem with Lesson Plans

During my thirty-year career in the classroom, I occasionally worked with colleagues who resisted the contractual requirement that they turn in weekly lesson plans. As veteran teachers, they felt that detailed planning on paper was mindless hoop jumping. According to them, good teachers could step into a class, all their knowledge and skills percolating, and proceed to do the right things, without having to rely on notes. Good teaching as natural artistry.

Never worked for me. Early in my career, I developed the habit of planning on Sunday night for the week to come. The planning was nit-picky and thorough in the early years; in the last half of my career, I had a full tool bag to