Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Parent Involvement is Smart. Don’t Turn it Into Something Stupid - Lily's Blackboard – Lily's Blackboard

Parent Involvement is Smart. Don’t Turn it Into Something Stupid - Lily's Blackboard – Lily's Blackboard:

Lily's Blackboard Rotating Header Image

Parent Involvement is Smart. Don’t Turn it Into Something Stupid

I have parents. I am a parent. I love parents. So, don’t get me wrong, but what’s up with the rash of stupid ideas on parent involvement in education?

When I was teaching in Utah, one legislator, one of our friends, one of our champions, someone who had fought beside teachers for class size reduction, school computers and reimbursements for supplies that teachers bought out of their own pockets, this guy I adored and respected developed a idea for a state law that would fine parents $5 for missing a parent-teacher conference.

Say what?

He was surprised at my reaction. He thought I’d be high-fiving him. He said,