Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 8, 2012

NYC Public School Parents: Would I Send My Child To This School? by Bari L. Katz

NYC Public School Parents: Would I Send My Child To This School? by Bari L. Katz:

Would I Send My Child To This School? by Bari L. Katz

This article was written by a member of the team that founded the Achievement First charter high school in NYC, cross-posted with minor changes from the WE-CAN website, an organization opposed to the opening of a new Achievement First school in Providence RI. See also the recent articles in the Providence Journal, Is this charter better? and A closer look ; as well as videos of former AF middle school parents on our blog.

“Would I send my child to this school?” This is a question I asked myself every day while working at Achievement First and helping to build their first high school in Brooklyn from 2009-2010. I served as the Director of Student Life at Achievement First Crown Heights High School (now called AF Brooklyn High School), which entailed developing and managing all after-school and summer enrichment programs, building the advisory system for both college skills and character development, counseling students, and organizing and leading