Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Jersey Jazzman: Glimmers Of Hope In the Charter Debate

Jersey Jazzman: Glimmers Of Hope In the Charter Debate:

Glimmers Of Hope In the Charter Debate

I picked up my Sunday Star-Ledger and read the headline from Tom Moran's latest piece: "Demand for top N.J. charter schools exceeds available seats." Given my past with the Editorial Page Editor (type his name in my search engine), I was expecting to pull all of my hair out once again; imagine my pleasant surprise when I only yanked out half of it.

Because even though Moran misses quite a bit and comes to a faulty conclusion, he is at least beginning to acknowledge that there is a serious counterargument to be made against the Christie administration's plan to expand charter schools:
New Jersey has 80 charter schools today and, if Gov. Chris Christie gets his way, dozens more will open in the next few years.
That worries some people. They say conventional schools might suffer if charters lure