Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Commentary: New paradigm needed for teacher training | EdNewsColorado

Commentary: New paradigm needed for teacher training | EdNewsColorado:

Commentary: New paradigm needed for teacher training

Mark Sass, a teacher since 1994, teaches at Legacy High School in the Adams Five Star School District. He is a member of the Denver New Millennium Initiative.

Many years ago, as I navigated my way through different careers before settling on education, I was a truck mechanic for Ford. I started right out of high school prepping new cars and then worked my way into the apprentice mechanic program. I wanted to work on big trucks. The career path – from apprenticeship to journeyman mechanic – was charted and guided by the union.

According to union procedures, you had to apprentice under the watchful eye of a master mechanic. The length