Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The $4700 teacher. Some comments on the $2.5 million study. « Fred Klonsky

The $4700 teacher. Some comments on the $2.5 million study. « Fred Klonsky:

The $4700 teacher. Some comments on the $2.5 million study.

When the NY Times wrote a story yesterday on the 20 year study by some Harvard and Columbia University economists on the worth of a value-added teacher here were some comments to the Times:

I teach 12th grade. My student score high on college entrance exams. I wish I would take credit, but I know that their 11h grade teacher is the one who taught them how to write an “on demand” essay like the entrance exams require. I teach them research and argumentative writing. If we are giving out bonuses, who deserves the credit, me or my colleague? And really, who cares? – Mary

So when a great and relatively high-ranked teacher inspires students to become teachers themselves, it has the