Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 26, 2011

Stewardship vs Adultism in the Real World | Lefty Parent

Stewardship vs Adultism in the Real World | Lefty Parent:

Stewardship vs Adultism in the Real World

Following up on several of my previous pieces (most recently“Adultism vs Legitimate Adult Stewardship of Youth”), I think it is important to call out some real-world examples of what I consider the exercise of legitimate adult stewardship of young people. That versus what I would consider inappropriate “adultism”. I believe sorting out this dichotomy is critical to adult interaction with young people in our society going forward, whether parents with their kids or teachers with their students.

My working definition of “adultism” is…

The disrespect and discrimination against young people (simply because they are not adults) that