Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Schools Matter: Occupy the Schoolhouse! #ows

Schools Matter: Occupy the Schoolhouse!:

Occupy the Schoolhouse!


Time magazine has named the Protester as 2011’s Person of the Year. However, as I read the Time article reviewing the year in protests and revolutions, I found one critical protest missing from the narrative: the Save Our Schools movement. Aside from some limited coverage around the national march in July, the national media has largely ignored this important protest against the latest education “reform” movement . The Occupy movement, on the other hand, with its diffuse anger and unnamed frustration, gets plenty of play. But the SOS movement? Not so much. As I read the Time article, I began to wonder why.
Of course, there is the obvious: the Occupy movement made an obstacle of itself in city after city, disrupting the normal operation of the establishment. The Save Our Schools movement, on the other hand, did not occupy the schoolhouse or disrupt the delivery of education to children anywhere. Do not get me wrong: I share the anger and frustration behind the Occupy movement and I’m sympathetic to their actions. I just think the movement