Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

“I Don’t Believe That”: Reforming the Debate to Reform Education | Dailycensored.com

“I Don’t Believe That”: Reforming the Debate to Reform Education | Dailycensored.com:

“I Don’t Believe That”: Reforming the Debate to Reform Education

I have been an avid cyclist for almost thirty years now, riding as much as 10,000 miles each year. For many of those years, I have also shaved my head, resulting in hours and hours outside in adverse weather conditions such as extreme cold, rain, and even sleet and snow.

When my mother-in-law was alive, she never failed to warn me about covering my head to ward off colds and all sorts of illnesses. I regret now that I often argued with her, explaining some times too harshly that we catch colds and other illnesses from germs, not simply being exposed (through our heads) to cold weather. I never budged her from her belief—or her genuine concern for my well-being: I was her daughter’s husband and her granddaughter’s father; she