Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 18, 2011

A City Education: Going Back to Basics Is Key to Achievement - Education - GOOD

A City Education: Going Back to Basics Is Key to Achievement - Education - GOOD:


A City Education: Going Back to Basics Is Key to Achievement

markham
In our A City Education series, two City Year corps members share their experiences working as tutors and mentors in schools in hopes of closing the achievement gap and ending the dropout crisis
At the start of the school year I played the name game with my middle-school students. I remember trying so hard to remember all of their names and the animal they picked. I also used the animal choices to get a glimpse of their personalities. One student named himself George the Gopher—he stood out because he was so adorable, bubbly, and excited to be at school.
Three months later, I know more about each student’s distinct personalities, work ethics, social lives, and home lives. Most importantly, I've been able to asses what each student needs help with academically. I just turned in