Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

2011 Unpublished GQ Interview [Mr. Vilson vs. Jose Part 3] | The Jose Vilson

2011 Unpublished GQ Interview [Mr. Vilson vs. Jose Part 3] | The Jose Vilson:

2011 Unpublished GQ Interview [Mr. Vilson vs. Jose Part 3]

Mr. Vilson (left) vs. Jose (right)

For some reason, GQ Magazine (Yes, Gentlemen’s Quarterly) decided not to publish their interview with me for Man of the Year 2011. Those of us who’ve been occupying and marching on Washington, DC, got a little shine via Time Magazine’s Person of the Year issue as “The Protestor.” Obviously, we can do better. I know, I know. I’m as disappointed as you are. At some point, I’m hoping teachers get some props nationwide. But at least they passed me the first draft of the interview, and here’s what we came up with. Enjoy.

Interviewer: We have in this chair, Jose Vilson, writer, activist, and Spongebob enthusiast. He’s been rather critical of the testing industry and the proliferation of corporate rule in public schools. In the other chair, we have Mr. Vilson, math coach and teacher in a NYC public school. He handles data, technology, and a plethora of other hats, or should I say Kangols, for his school. Let’s start with this question: what’s it like working for one of