Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Should Schools Be Run for Profit? - Bridging Differences - #Edreform #ows d

Should Schools Be Run for Profit? - Bridging Differences - Education Week:

Should Schools Be Run for Profit?

Dear Deborah,

The next big idea in "education reform" is online instruction and cyber charters. I know that teachers are doing wonderful, creative activities with technology, and there is no doubt that technology can bring history, science, and other studies to life in vivid ways. But there is a cloud on the horizon, and that is the growth of the for-profit cyber charters. I confess that it troubles me to think of children sitting at home, day after day, with no opportunity for discussion and debate, no interaction with their peers, no face-to-face encounters with a real teacher.

I recently read several shocking articles that have reinforced my concern about for-profit companies that provide