Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Women’s Delegation Traveling to Atlanta to Expose Human Rights Violations MomsRising Blog

MomsRising Blog:

Georgia’s New Anti-Immigrant Law – Writings from the Women’s Delegation Traveling to Atlanta to Expose Human Rights Violations

Mary Olivella at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
Welcome to the MomsRising blog-a-thon developed by the delegation of women leaders traveling to Georgia this week as part of a growing national resistance to anti-immigrant laws. The We Belong Together Delegation will hear, and then share, the stories of women and children affected by Georgia’s anti-immigrant bill, HB 87, copycat legislation of Arizona’s controversial [...]

My Mother’s Story and Why I’m Going to Georgia

Wendy Cervantes at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
This week I’m going to Georgia, and I’m excited and hopeful. I’m honored to be joining several other women from around the country as part of the We Belong Together delegation tasked with documenting the impact of Georgia’s new anti-immigrant law on children and families. Their suffering is very real, yet their voices are often [...]

Addressing Georgia’s New and Abusive Anti-Immigrant Law – Why I am joining the “We Belong Together” Delegation

Mary Olivella at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
For more than two hundred years, mothers from every corner of the globe have come here to seek a better life for their families, particularly their children. And all of us, newcomers as well as those with families who have been here for generations, want our children to live a safe and healthy life, one [...]

In Georgia, Thinking of Henry and His Mother

Maria Elena Perez at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
“It’s like my mom… doesn’t exist. My mom doesn’t ask too much of her place in society. She just asks to be acknowledged. My greatest fear is my mom being deported.” (Henry, U.S. citizen whose mother is an undocumented immigrant) I thought of Henry — and his mother — when I was asked to [...]

For my mother. For my daughters.

Miriam Yeung at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
Being a new parent is hard. The sleepless nights, the sudden loss of free time, the aching biceps from carrying around a surprisingly heavy baby, the spit up, the bottles, the picking up, the picking up, the picking up. But during my most miserable nights of waking up at 12am, then 2am, then 4am – [ ...]

Why I am going to Georgia

Betty G. Robinson at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
I am going to Georgia for the purpose of making the invisible visible. In the spring of 1960 while a college student, I read about African American students in the South sitting in because they were unable to be served at lunch-counters of national chain stores. I was shocked! I had believed my country was [...]

Georgia on My Mind

Tiffany Williams at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
Since the execution of Troy Davis, whose shattering story activated thousands of people across the country to speak out against a flawed justice system and the brutality of capital punishment, Georgia has been on my mind. I was born there, in a small town outside of Atlanta called Austell, and spent many summers in Newnan [...]

I am going to Georgia to stand up for America and our children’s future.

Pramila Jayapal at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
There’s a myth out there that immigration is complex—even controversial. But the truth is that the issue of immigration may be the simplest and clearest thing that binds us all together. With the exception of our Native American brothers and sisters who were here long before any of us came and who didn’t have the [...]

No Human Being Is Illegal

Premilla Nadasen at MomsRising Blog - 17 minutes ago
“No Human Being Is Illegal”: This is a phrase I’ve seen emblazoned on t-shirts and bumper stickers. It is a response to the vitriolic anti-immigrant sentiment that labels those without official papers as “illegal.” Over the past decade the political debate about immigration has heated up as money has been poured into securing our borders [...]