Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

School Tech Connect: Tip For Undoing A Public Trust

School Tech Connect: Tip For Undoing A Public Trust:

Tip For Undoing A Public Trust

Use the word "choice."

Affluent reformers and their Democratic allies have figured out that poor people will flock to regimented discipline factories. It has nothing to do with achievement or learning or offering the kind of education they choose for their own children. It has to do with the perception of safety and shock doctrine rhetoric that's driving the public discourse. Achievement doesn't matter. It's about undoing the American system with the language of choice. This vote on the charter bill was terrible, and I'm frankly ashamed of my congresswoman, Jan Schakowsky, for piling on. I've heard Jan say many intelligent things, and I admire her work, but I've never heard her say one