Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 12, 2011

Sacramento Press / Real Relationships: Special needs child

Sacramento Press / Real Relationships: Special needs child:

Real Relationships: Special needs child

by Janna Haynes, published on September 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Storyline: Real Relationships RSS Feed

Image by: Janna Haynes

Q: My son is 7 years old and currently attending a public school in the first grade. It has been obvious to my husband and I for some time that he has some kind of learning disability and some behavioral issues, but he has never been diagnosed with anything, and we aren't really sure what to do.

His teacher tells us that he isn't reading at a first -grade level and that his actions in class not only prevent him for learning but disrupt the entire classroom environment. We don't really know what to do or where to begin.

I haven't received any support from the school in this situation, so right now I am just frustrated. I don't want my son to fall behind, but I think he needs help. His disruptive behavior spills over from school into our home, and my husband and I are frustrated and scared. What do I do?