Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Autism And The Inhumanity Of The Right Wing | Addicting Info

Autism And The Inhumanity Of The Right Wing | Addicting Info:

Autism And The Inhumanity Of The Right Wing

I didn't even know it existed until I saw Rain Man in 1988 and didn't hear the word again for at least a decade. We've come a long way since then.

Today I stumbled across an old acquaintance from my camp counselor days and found out that she has two children with austistic spectrum disorder and a third with developmental delays. As you may or may nor know by now, I have a child with ASD as well. Apparently this old acquaintance is a frothing liberal just like me. This got me to thinking: Is it possible to have a special needs child and still be a Right Wing ideologue? And if so, how?

There are millions of children and adults with ASD in varying degrees of severity and dozens of other kinds of physical and mental afflictions. Many, if not most, require some kind of special attention, whether it be home based services like my son received, a special school or a home for adults that cannot care for themselves. These services require special training and is not necessarily something