Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Shakes, For Real | The Jose Vilson

The Shakes, For Real | The Jose Vilson

The Shakes, For Real

Mayor Mike Bloomberg of NYC with Mayor Boris Johnson of London

This afternoon, I posted the following joke on my Facebook:

If school was in session, Bloomberg wouldn’t close schools. Around lunchtime, he’d say, “Let them have shakes.”

I jest. Well, for the most part. Surprisingly, there was no announcement from our mayor on anything. NYC Educator might quip here that he’s probably having lunch somewhere in Bermuda, to which I’d laugh with my mouth agape. Then again, this earthquake business struck me in more ways than one. While I’m able to find a little levity in earth-shaking situations where no one really gets hurt, the earthquake came right after another jarring moment for me. After cleaning every crevice of my bathroom, I looked in my fiancee’s eyes and said, “I