Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Washington Teacher: Open Letter To AFT President Randi Weingarten

The Washington Teacher: Open Letter To AFT President Randi Weingarten

Open Letter To AFT President Randi Weingarten

July 27, 2011

Dear AFT President Randi Weingarten:

I was summarily dismissed without pay by WTU President Nathan Saunders on July 26, 2011 effective 11:50 even though I didn't receive written notice until 2:30 p.m. As an elected union official, it is clear that since this has happened on two separate occasions under two separate presidents (George Parker and Nathan Saunders) under your watch, checks and balances need to be put in place so this cycle does not continue to occur in our union.

I have notified the WTU Executive Board and WTU Board of Trustees and do plan to bring the matter of my suspension of duties and pay to their attention. It was disturbing to me that when I contacted the WTU Executive Board and Board of Trustees, I was informed that they had not been notified of this action by