Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Resisting Test Prep is Tricky « JD2718

Resisting Test Prep is Tricky « JD2718

Resisting Test Prep is Tricky

MAY 21, 2011 PM31 9:17 PM
by jd2718

I’ve been asked to do a math talk or a math teaching talk for a bunch of math teachers. (I like this). The host suggested I consider tying into the common core standards, but even better would be a talk on organizing all math teachers for the revolution that is needed.

Clever me, I’m thinking about a talk on avoiding the common core, or teaching around it, or ignoring it.

But I don’t know if I can do that. First of all, I need to read the damned documents. Skimming is not enough. But second, if teachers are going to be rated on student test scores…

which offends me on so many levels I can hardly begin – the scores will not reflect teaching skill – the metrics to account for different circumstances are primitive and cannot advance appreciably, no matter how many tweaks – so m