Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 5, 2011

#IKnowATeacher Who Made Me Want To Be Better | The Jose Vilson

#IKnowATeacher Who Made Me Want To Be Better | The Jose Vilson

#IKnowATeacher Who Made Me Want To Be Better

Last night, I had the privilege of attending City College of New York’s Education Alumni Annual Awards Dinner. Even though I am an esteemed alum of the College, I was actually attending on behalf of my good friend Zuleika Martinez, social studies teacher, teacher leader, and aspiring superstar at an alternative high school in Queens. Last night, watching her receive an award was probably the highlight of my month. If anyone deserves an award for their tireless efforts, it’s my faux-big-sister and a proud educator.

What most people don’t know about Zuleika is that she’s one of the reasons I survived my first year. She was