Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, April 10, 2011

School Tech Connect: Rothko, and Red Herrings

School Tech Connect: Rothko, and Red Herrings

Rothko, and Red Herrings

Ok, we're back. In the aftermath of the burglary and the exhausting week, I've tried to stay blissfully ignorant of what's going on in the world around me. I will say this: spring has sprung. It was warm and windy here in Chicago today, which means that it's going to be harder than ever to concentrate.

I was walking Scout down an alley when I came across a few boarded up windows--- each one had been painted green and then patched with a different shade of green, probably to cover up some graffiti. "Each one a Rothko," I told Scout. She gave me that look that she gives me. Here's one of them, tarted up a bit with some color rotation.

Rogers Park Rothko 3

Really, things can be lovely, even in an alley.

I missed all the great labor activity over the weekend, but I did get to hear David Warlick talk about "cracking the native information experience" on Saturday. It's a pretty good talk-- if you get a chance, go hear it. He talks