Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Musings on Geoffrey Canada’s Denver Visit « Failing Schools

Musings on Geoffrey Canada’s Denver Visit « Failing Schools

Musings on Geoffrey Canada’s Denver Visit

APRIL 19, 2011
by mariasallee

This past Friday and Saturday, I attended the 1st annual Rocky Mountain Early Childhood Conference at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver. Friday’s featured luncheon speaker was the Harlem Children’s Zone’s (HCZ) CEO, and mover-and-shaker, Geoffrey Canada. I once counted myself an undisputed admirer of Mr. Canada, after I read Paul Tough’s book Whatever it Takes. Of course, that was before the spectacle of movies featuring the cranky rhetoric of Canada such as The Lottery and Waiting for Superman. That was when Canada started to lose my admiration. Why? Because I’m reflexively against cultural drawing-of-lines-in-the-sand,