Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 3, 2011

My comment/response to post by @ValerieStrauss « Teacher Reality

My comment/response to post by @ValerieStrauss « Teacher Reality

My comment/response to post by @ValerieStrauss

Here is my comment/response to the article in the Washington Post by Valerie Strauss (When will our nation’s leaders get it through their thick heads that we have a serious poverty problem in America?)….

As our nation’s poverty level rises, so does the teacher bashing. As a teacher in the trenches of a public school in Florida, I am tired of hearing that I do not work hard or smart enough; that I’m lazy; that I’m for the “status quo”; that I’m ineffective;…and so on.

We have a problem in America and it is neglect. Pointing the finger at teachers will NOT fix the problems. As a teacher, I see hungry, tired children; children who have been traumatized, children with parents in prison, and children who are homeless or on the verge of being homeless. At my little public school, we now have over 100 kids who are homeless or “in transition”. Our kids need help: psychological, behavioral, housing, proper nutrition,