Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Daily Kos: What beyond curriculum should we be teaching?

Daily Kos: What beyond curriculum should we be teaching?

What beyond curriculum should we be teaching?

This is crossposted from Huffington Post

I am a government teacher. In light of recent events in Tucson and the reactions to what has happened across the political spectrum, I find myself once again wrestling with a question -- what responsibility do I have to help my students become productive participants in our political processes? Without such participation our democracy will wither and die.

am not here addressing what the motivations may have been for the shooter. We may find out, we may never know. But the shooting did occur in the midst of a period where the level of verbal vitriol has risen to levels I do