Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 11, 2010

CALL OUT on Public EDUCATION | forimpact.org

CALL OUT on Public EDUCATION | forimpact.org

CALL OUT on Public EDUCATION

Tom Suddes | December 10, 2010

Five years or so ago, I spoke at a fairly large gathering of ‘Public Educators’, mostly principals of public high schools and some district superintendents. (Nick claims I ranted like Tom Peters on serious medication. He also says they all looked at me as if I were ‘crazy’. Who would have guessed?)

Essence of my message was:

    • Change or Die.

    • Abandon Almost Everything.

    • Re-Imagine… Re-Design… Re-Invent.

Almost every public high school is having FUNDING CHALLENGES. Levies passed or not passed. Cutting budgets. Dropping co-curricular activities. Pay to play, etc.

The Big Idea: PUBLIC education vs. public EDUCATION. It’s all about the